Artistic students gain exposure at McCord and IHSA art galleries

Young, aspiring artists showed off their artwork at the McCord Gallery.  Back row: Brooke Smith, Sarah Heidegger, Keara Rigg, Casey Gartlan, Mrs. Michaelson, Savannah Grafton.  Front row: Becca Kordas, Mady Knaus, Alexa Marines, Damien Lee.

Young, aspiring artists showed off their artwork at the McCord Gallery. Back row: Brooke Smith, Sarah Heidegger, Keara Rigg, Casey Gartlan, Mrs. Michaelson, Savannah Grafton. Front row: Becca Kordas, Mady Knaus, Alexa Marines, Damien Lee.

CSHS Art Department

CSHS Art Department

Ayyan Chaudry, Staff Writer

Meeting strangers, exchanging thoughts, and fearing of rejection all encompass what it is like for a student to put his or her artwork in exhibits such as the McCord Gallery, Regional Scholastic Arts Awards and Exhibition, and Illinois High School Art Exhibition. Students partaking in Advanced Placement Studio Art and an Independent Study are “training” to become great artists whose work will be recognized and appreciated by many.

Exhibitions such as these are a great opportunity for students to gain experience displaying their work. Gaining experience and exhibiting their work at a young age will enable students to become comfortable with the practice and give them a headstart on their future in art.

Carl Sandburg students in AP Studio Art and Independent Study participated in a special show at The McCord Gallery & Cultural Center in Palos Park, which exhibited their work from January 13th- February 8th. Brooke Smith, Sarah Heidegger, Keara Rigg, Casey Gartlan, Alexa Marines, Savanna Grafton, Sarah Zieba, Rebecca Kordas, Mady Knaus, Monica Marsan, Alexa Marines, and Damien Lee were the Sandburg students who chose 2-3 works for the show ranging in a variety of media, content and style.

The director of the McCord Gallery, Lynne Terr, continues to support the Sandburg Art Department and allows the students this great opportunity to exhibit their work.

On Sunday, January 24th, there was a reception for the students, where friends and families flocked to the McCord Galey to see the students incredible artwork in their first formal exhibit at a professional art gallery.

An art teacher at Sandburg, Mrs. Michaelson, described the importance of the McCord Gallery.

“More significantly, students learned a bit about promoting and marketing their own work,” said Michaellson.

Another important gallery Sandburg Students participated in was the Regional Scholastic Arts Awards and Exhibition at Downer’s Grove North High School, where Sandburg students submitted 52 works to compete with over 2894 individual entries from 23 other schools in the region.

In total Sandburg won nine awards including three Gold Keys, three Silver Keys and three Honorable Mentions. Winners of the Gold Keys were Jayne Wagner, Madison Christie-Hamre and Sarah Zieba. Silver Key winners were Evan Flaherty, Monica Marsan and Sarah Zieba. Honorable Mentions were Monica Marsan and Sarah Zieba.

The three Golden Key winners’ pieces will travel to New York next month to compete nationally. If they win there they will be nationally recognized at Carnegie Hall this summer of 2016.

Presenting artwork at a national level can be daunting, but this opportunity gives students so much more confidence in exhibiting their work and creates a foundation for their future.

The Illinois High School Art Exhibition received worked from 100 schools statewide and 500 students ranging in media and concept. Sandburg had five winning pieces at the exhibit including: Monica Marsan’s digital drawing “Monster” for Drawing, Sarah Heidegger’s “Bold & Brash” in the Painting, Lisa Theriault’s “The King of the Submarine” in Photography, Mady Knaus’ “Tribal” sculpture in 3D Media, and Scott Sharkey’s “Red Horizon” in Graphic Design. The works will be on display at the Zhou B Art Center until March 9th, and on March 6th friends and families will be able to come see the amazing works. The families and students were invited to the studio space of professional working artists. A host of art colleges are available to the students and parents for individual conferences.
Not only to the students see the working environment they will going to in the future, but they have the unique opportunity to meet with colleges and learn about their programs.

Mrs. Michaelson described the importance of the IHSA art exhibit.
“One benefit is that we [the Art Department] are addressing our state and national standards by presenting the work publicly. The students learn how to talk to strangers about their art. It is just like Music Department having a concert or athletes playing sports,” said Michaelson.

Local arts shows are an integral part of the Art Department’s mission to prepare students for the future and the confidences in their artistic ability. Students have the daunting task to look criticism in the face while strangers look and ask them about their art. These exhibits help students gain exposure at a state and national levels. It is important that students continue to have the opportunity to present their work and find an outlet to express themselves.