Aquila

Aquila

Lady Eagles cross country runs on dedication and hard work

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kayla Augdahl, Staff Writer

Girls cross country has a rich history at Carl Sandburg High School. By sending numerous teams and individuals down to state in the past, there is no doubt that the girls cross country team will punch their ticket to Peoria again sometime in the future. This years, the Eagles have had a season of improving performances. With a season capped by a fourth place finish at the Marist Regionals, they advanced to Sectionals.

Senior Hannah Lehnhardt has led the team for a majority of the season. Coach Plaisier said, “She’s worked really hard from the end of her junior year and all summer long. She’s been running really well for us”.

With a sixth place finish at the SWSC Conference Meet with a time of 19:50, there is no doubt that Lehnhardt’s hard work is definitely showing off. However, Lehnhardt isn’t the only athlete that improved at conference.

Coach Plaisier said, “Most of our kids set lifetime PRs (personal records) at conference. It’s been exciting to watch them run that fast at the end of the year. It shows that all of the hard work they’ve put in is paying off”.

Another standout runner is freshman Brielle Morris. Coach Plaisier said in regards to Morris’ performances, “You never know the transition of junior high to high school, but she has been consistently one of our top three finishers in all of our races.”
By placing second in the frosh/soph Conference race with a time of 19:51 and finishing in 9-10 with Lehnhardt at Regionals, Morris’ talent has definitely not gone unnoticed. Achieving these times as just a freshman is a big feat and it will be exciting to see what Morris can accomplish within her next three years.

Plaisier said in regards to the underclassmen, “We have some pretty dedicated kids right now and as long as they can have a good track season and keep running during the summer I can see them doing well.”

Senior Emily Stankute agrees about the underclassmen’s contributions. “A season highlight this year was that a lot of underclassmen on Varsity stepped up and ran some of their best times. The ability to have a variety of grade levels…on the team made us very strong and closer than ever since we all bonded over different experiences,” said Stankute.

Stankute said, “The team was very close this year, and we were fortunate enough to have amazing coaches that dedicate their time to us.”
Although the girls cross country team did not make it to State this year, with the dedication and strong work ethic of the underclassmen, this goal may not be too far off.

• Lady Eagles cross country runs on dedication and hard work

News

Sandburg inducts All Star athletes into first-ever Hall of Fame

Showcase

Momentous signing day at Sandburg for student athletes

Features

Unsung heroes at the ‘burg: Sandburg’s community service guards

• Opinions

How to remain positive in the age of negativity

• Features

Sandburg’s Robotics team hoping to be first at FIRST

News

Seniors get swole at the College Essay Boot Camp

News

A necessary evil: the “soda tax” hits Sandburg

Features

New App Development class: where apps are born

Entertainment

Sandburg students going bananas for Harambe fever

Showcase

Remembering Jane Caliendo: a warrior from start to finish